Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What Are Mommies For Anyway?

MommyMomMotherMomma.  Different variations, but they all mean the same thing. 

"A female parent," and/or "something or someone that gives rise to or exercises protecting care over something else."    (credit from dictionary.com)

Being a mom means, guiding, caring for, disciplining, teaching, leading, (the list goes on)....and later letting go. If you ask ten mothers what motherhood means to them, you will likely get ten different answers.  For me, motherhood means having the opportunity to love another with your entire heart, to devote yourself to them and their well-being.  It means hugs, kisses, snuggles, laughter.  It holds the responsibility to teach the difference between right and wrong.   And in recent years, to show them how to love the Lord, serve others, be mindful and respectful, and, hopefully at the same time, have them see Christ in me, even if just a little bit each day. 

The bible tells us to, train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

Motherhood has been one of the most rewarding responsibilities I've had.  I cannot imagine what I would have done with myself if God had not allowed me to be a mother.  Honesty will force me to say that not every moment of my mothering has been perfect.  My kids could probably vouch for that as well [chuckle {blush}] and I choose to overlook the lapses in judgement I've had over the years.  As I sit here today, I believe I can say that I'm doing the best I can at each crossroad motherhood chooses to present to me. 

We can only pray each day that we've done our best, that we've given positive direction, that it's enough to give them the foundation they need to continue to grow in the Lord as they spread their wings and figure out the plan God has for them, in a life separate from ours.  As a mom we still want to guide and protect, but we have to learn to do it from a distance.

Being a mom is the ultimate.  It offers something new and exciting every day.  Yes, sometimes we will be disheartened, but we have to hold onto our faith and remember that God is in control of each and every situation.

As I've cared for my little boy these last two day days, comforting him as he was getting sick, giving him medicine for his fever, and cuddling him when he just needed his momma, I thank God for this responsibility.  I am sincerely blessed to have it.

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.  She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.  Proverbs 31:26-27

May I always keep this scripture close at hand and strive to live up to it each day....

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment