Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Blessed Beyond Measure

When I hear the word Thanksgiving, a lot comes to mind for me.   I have many memories from over the years that I treasure deep within my heart.  I love the time spent with family.  And, for many people, myself included, Thanksgiving is also a time for reflection.  Oh, and we cannot forget the food.  Mmmmm, all the wonderful smells, the different textures that cross the tastebuds.  All these things bring a deep sense of pleasure!  

Thanksgiving 2010 was no different, and was filled abundantly with blessings.   Our week started off with a visit to see some of our family in the Valley.  It was a joy to be with them for a few days.  Watching all the little one's play together warmed more than just my heart I'm sure.  Toby - almost 2, Derek - 2, Noah - 4, Caleb - 5, and Emily Ava - 8 months (or so).   How could it not be called a blessing having the opportunity to watch this cute little bunch hang out with each other?   And time with our Nee Nee.  Treasured time.  Caleb LOVES his Nee Nee!!



The time went by way too fast and before we knew it we found ourselves returning home Wednesday night.  We had much to do to prepare as Thanksgiving dinner would be at our own home this year.  I have truly been looking forward to Nov. 25th, 2010.  I've really missed my family.  For various reasons, we've all been running in different directions lately and have not shared a whole lot of quality time with one another.  I wanted this Thanksgiving to be a good one.  I wanted the few hours we would have together to change that.

I came into this day filled with HIGH expectations for a blessed day.  I fully expected to BE blessed.  Going into the day with this perspective was a choice.  One I gladly made.

Was I disappointed?

Not in the least....

The first and foremost blessing?  The majority of my kids were present - Dusty & Morgan, Allie & Aaron, Randy, and of course our always present Caleb Lynn.  Who is missing you ask?  Well, many of you have never met her, but I have a step-daughter, Christy.  She lives in Houston and wasn't able to make her way down here.   I pray she had a good day with her new family up there though.

It's really hard to list the blessings of today in order.  How can one really and truly do that?  A blessing is just that a blessing.  I was blessed today with the dearest husband who dove right into the Thanksgiving meal preparation like a trooper!  He was awesome!  His food was awesome!  I love that he can take the lead and I would not have survived the day without him!!!

The next blessing?  My grandkids, Hudson and Adison, who arrived at Grandma Pam's & Papa Johnny's sporting sweet smiles and all decked out for Thanksgiving!!   When I say decked out, I mean it.  They had the cutest Thanksgiving shirts on and the tips of their toes were covered with stylish boots!  I have to cringe and wrinkle my nose just a little bit here.  Why you ask?  Because one of Adi's sweater boots (forgive this grandma for her fashion faux paus) nearly became a casualty as Honey (you remember our 9 month old lab puppy, Honey, right?), decided to leave her mark on the heel....This Grandma has a little making up to do...if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Let's see - tons more blessings filled my day.  My brother Rick arrived with his wife and daughter, Steph and Sami.  A sweet little 3 year old girl learning to spread her wings and with the funniest nick name, "Pickle."  I love it - normally such a sour word, but when said in reference to this adorable child, I think of nothing but sweetness! 

The blessings continue...

Mom and dad arrived loaded with sweet potatoes and pie.  Two of my favorites smells of Thanksgiving.  Sweet potatoes and pie....ah, yes....Oh, okay.  I loved the food, but I enjoyed hugging my parents even more. 

We had a couple of extra sweet guests this year.  Not family for me, but church family for my brother.  His Pastor Jim and wife Diane.  Very nice people who have done kind things for me in recent months.  I was trying to bless them by having them here for Thanksgiving rather than sitting home alone and what happens?  They bless me!  With their presence and a small gift!   A hand made ornament for our tree.  Can't wait to hang it!

To continue discussing my blessing would have this post entirely too long and it's already long!  Here's a quick recap:  the arrival of family, hugs, hugs, hugs, prayer, yummy food, sweet dessert, a sneak peak at a wedding dress, snuggling my grand puppy, a few rounds of Bananagrams, listening to the giggles of the little one's....and a delightful visit with my son Dusty and his wife after everyone else left.  Treasured memories.

Reflection.  Yes, that's what Thanksgiving is all about.   Reflecting on the past, reflecting on the present, and even reflecting on the future.  All we have to do is expect the best, expect to be blessed and God will provide!!

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.  1 Timothy 6:17

What can I say?  Put your hope in God, expect that He will provide, and He does.

In His Precious and Holy Name,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment