Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hot Chocolate Anyone??

To say my concession stand experience was interesting would be putting it mildly.  I think that those who have worked the concession before have a hidden agenda for the newbies that come into their domain.  Let's initiate them with gusto! 

My first assignment last night was to roll sausage and fajita meat into tortillas and wrap with foil.  That task was uneventful and flowed quite well, if I do say so myself.  I then said, "Pam", (that's what I call myself when I'm having one of those conversations in my head), "you can do this.  This is NOT so bad after all!" 

My second task was to mix hot chocolate.  Once again, how bad can that be?  Well, when it was all said and done, let's just say it was pretty bad.  I had a 6th grader as my partner (cute kid and an awesome worker named Dustin!) and together we were to measure out hot cocoa mix into white styrofoam cups, add the appropriate amount of water, and stir.  Doesn't sound like too hard a task does it?   It becomes hard when you have the other workers standing at their concession windows (4 or 5 of them), shouting out requests for "2 hot chocolates," "I need 4 hot chocolates," etc.  My job was to make them and deliver them to the window making the request. 

If you've ever made hot chocolate at home in your own kitchen, you might remember that it takes a little bit of time to adequately stir the powder into the hot water.  A little bit more time than we had between requests!  I literally stood at the counter and stirred cup after cup of hot chocolate for 2 1/2 hours.  No break....I was even wearing it as one of the dear concession workers decided the back of my shirt and pants would look snazzy with about a 1/2 cup of hot cocoa poured down the back.  Luckily with my layered attire for the evening I didn't get burned. 

Finally, the other workers realized that it was taking too much time for Pam (and her assistants) to deliver hot cocoa to their windows and they started to come get them.  Honestly, did they want me to keep stiring or waste time walking back and forth?  It was the craziest experience I've ever had.  I still do not understand why we didn't mix a LARGE container of hot cocoa all at once and just fill cups, but unless you are running the show (or want to run the show next year), you keep your mouth shut and do what they tell ya!  LOL 

I will say, when the last ounce of hot chocolate powder was poured into the last white styroam cup I shouted with joy, "Thank you, Jesus!  Praise God!"  And with only a few stares in my direction at my-out-of-place outburst, the rest of the folks in the room cheered for me, and for the 3 others who eventually had to step in and stir along side me when my 6th grade helper decided that working a window was more to his liking.   After a ten minute break and some serious stretching to try to work out the pain and kinks in my back - at 9:18 I moved onto Frito Pies, Hotdogs, and Nacho's.  A much easier task and more to MY liking.

So, my math skills did not come into play on this night in the concession stand.  Whew!  Not sure I could have handled THAT stress along with all the stiring...

God bless one and all,
Pam

2 comments:

  1. LOL LOL!!! You crack me up....and the funny thing is I can just see you saying "Pam."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - it was the absolutely most miserable night I've had in YEARS! All for Randy. Does he have any clue of the sacrifice I made for him? No! LOL

    ReplyDelete