Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, November 1, 2010

To Trick or Treat, or Not??

As a little girl I grew up celebrating Halloween. I remember the funny times my brother and I had as we went out together in our costume of the year. I remember getting older and taking my brother, then just staying home to hand out candy. Then, as a mom, I couldn't wait to help my kids pick out their costumes, or sometimes I even made them myself. It was a time that our family generally looked forward to. As my older kiddo's grew up though and the years progressed, Halloween seemed to become more of a chore to participate in. My Johnny doesn't care for it much, but gracefully allowed me to do whatever I wanted to do each year.

I've learned that finding the Lord does interesting things to one's perspective. At the moment, it has affected my perspective on Halloween. Last year our pastor made it quite clear that he disapproved of Halloween and as Christians we were all to feel the same way. He had all the documentation to support his opinion. No costumes whatsoever. That was just lending itself by showing support toward the day that defines evil.

I myself have struggled with this. I don't love and support the devil. Quite the opposite. I am a Christian and love the Lord with all my might. My kids usually had the innocent costumes - flowers, buzz light year, clowns, etc. But, to suddenly flip that switch to not supporting the "Holiday" isn't easy for me. So, I will work on this or should I say God will be working on me in this way...

Yesterday was Halloween and when Randy went to go trick or treat with friends, Caleb said multiple times, "what about me?" My heart was tugging and pulling. What does a mom do when she's torn?

Well, when it was all said and done...Caleb didn't want to put on his costume and go out and trick or treat. He said, "Let's just go home." I'm not sure if it was because we weren't with any of his friends, or that Randy went with his friends, or if it was because he was too embarrassed to put on the costume {which thankfully only cost $14.99}.

So, while I was struggling with him feeling left out or feeling like he was missing out on something, God completely took care of the situation for me. He took the desire to trick or treat completely out of my son's heart which then removed the tugging that was taking place in mine. So, see? God is awesome and amazing in the big AND the little things!!

Blessings,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing that. God is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete