Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, April 4, 2011

What You Need, When You Need It

It is still befuddling to me every SINGLE time that the Lord affirms a decision I've made.  We all like to think we're following His plan for our lives and that we are staying in His will.  Unfortunately, we aren't always making the right decisions and I think if we stop for a second and think about what we're doing we know in our hearts that its wrong.  Sometimes it takes longer than other times to figure out the plan we thought was His was really ours.

I absolutely love it when I'm into the scripture and it pops right off the page and says, "Hey, You!  Yeah, I mean YOU!  Listen, this is what I need for you to hear today."

I'd recently made a decision to stop doing something that I enjoyed, because it had to some degree become more like work instead of being fun and/or enjoyable.  It seemed my family really needed me more than this task needed me.  

Today, while returning from our Monday workout, a dear friend of mine and I read through the "Journey" devotional for today.  This is one of those 'Popping' moments I'm referring about.  The one's I love to have happen.  Nothing like an affirmation that one had done right and stayed in the Lord's Will.

{{Copied from Lifeway's April 2011 Journey}}

The Buffet

The Lord will always lead you, satisfy you in a parched land, and strengthen your bones.  Isaiah 58:11

My husband, Dave, and I promised his parents that we would visit them during our kids' spring break.  So we packed our suitcases, got in our SUV, and made the four-hour trip to their house.

We arrived just in time to drop off our luggage and go out to dinner.  They suggested a buffet restaurant so everyone could find something they liked.

Although I'd been trying to watch my weight, I caved under the pressure of being overly hungry and having too many choices.  Pretty soon, a spoonful of this and a small serving of that added up to a plate that was nearly overflowing.

Halfway through the meal, I knew I couldn't possibly finish everything unless I stuffed myself to a point of discomfort.  Lord, why did I do this to myself?  I asked silently.

Then I saw a parallel between my overstuffed plate and all the things I had taken on in my life.

I worked full time and our three children were each involved in sports, music lessons, and the student ministry at church.  I also led a women's Bible study.  There was just too much going on, and we were all paying for it.  Again, I thought, Lord, why did I do this to myself?

I left the rest of what was on my plate and pushed it away, and I decided to do the same with my schedule.  I needed to submit my time to the Lord and ask for His help in managing our busy lives.

Women today seem busier than ever.  Some juggle careers and family, and stay-at-home moms have "full plates" as well.  Many singles pile their plates high, too.  We end up on overload -- feeling over-whelmed, exhausted, and frustrated.

If you have taken on too much, take time to stop and re-evaluate your activities and your schedule.  Submit your time to the Lord and ask Him what you can do to cut back so you can live a life of peace and balance.

Steps of Faith - "Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God.  May Your gracious Spirit lead me on level ground:  Psalm 143:10
Deeper Walk - Psalm 25

What did I tell you?  Does that NOT sound like an affirmation to make more time for family?  I encourage you, anyone who might be reading this, to think about your own schedule's.  Not sure I have too long a list of reader's, but if you feel the tugging at your heart, then maybe these words and scripture are meant for you, too.  Dig in deep.  God will let you know if it IS for you!


Okay God....I was listening and heard you on that one.  Now, I'm waiting again...You know what I have on my heart.  This exercise "thing."  YOU know what I'm talking about, God.  Pop something off the page for me real soon, okay????  In Jesus Name...Amen.

Love and prayers,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment