Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What I've Learned About Asking the Lord for Patience....

I've learned from a five year old....

Mom: Do you want to go see Santa today, with Aunt Stephanie and Sami?
C: NO! NO! NO!
Mom: Sometimes mom likes to spend time with Aunt Steph & Sami. Mom's like to spend time with other mom's.
C: (no sympathy) NO! I wanna stay home.
Mom:  We can go see Santa, have lunch with your old school friends, then go see Tangled?
C:  NO!   I just want to see Tangled and come home.
Mom:  (Fears she has raised a loner.)

Long, drawn-out, back and forth conversation about Santa, lunch, and Tangled. Not going to be the mom forcing her kid on Santa's lap. But I thought it would be a fun little outing.

Five minutes of quiet and sulking.  By both of us I think.  I really wanted to see Santa!

C:  I'm sorry.
Mom:  What are you sorry for?
C:  That I don't want a picture with Santa.
Mom:  That's okay.  Thanks for saying sorry.

Fifteen minute break.

C: I want eggs and bacon for breakfast.
Mom: I don't have bacon, I have sausage.
C: Okay. I want the sausage in the eggs.
Mom: Okay.  I can do that.

Five minutes later....

C: Where are my eggs?
Mom: It takes a few minutes Caleb. They'll be ready soon. Is that how you should ask?
C:  Sorry.

Ten minutes later.....eggs are mixed, about to go into the pan. Sausage is 75% done.

C: I changed my mind.
Mom: (I'm thinking, about Santa? Do we still have time yet to get there to meet the group?)   What did you change your mind about?
C: I want a cereal bar for breakfast.
Mom:  No.  We're not doing that.  The eggs and sausage are about ready.  You can't change your mind now.
C:  Runs off to the bathroom crying.
Mom:  Caleb, stop crying over breakfast.
C:  Comes back and tosses a dirty sock at my feet.
Mom:  What is this?  Why did you toss that at me?
C:  (Comes to pick it up.)  Because I'm tired.
Mom:  Please go put it away...
C:  (Sluggishly bends over, picks up sock and puts it away.)

Welcome to my morning......

A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly.  Proverbs 14:29

Was it worth arguing over eggs & sausage and a dirty sock?  No.  I did find within myself some patience and used it.  For those that would like to know the end of the story.  I uttered not another word.  I made his plate with eggs, mixed with sausage and one sauge pattie cut up on the side.   A dollop of ketchup and a glass of orange juice.    I set it at the table, all the while telling myself to not say anything more.

Before I knew it...his plate was emtpy.  Five minutes later he wanted a cereal bar.  And then another.  I'm glad we didn't argue because I seems he really was very hungry today.  He ate the eggs and two cereal bars without wasting anything. 

Life is good once again!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment