Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Freshness of Home Grown

If you had told me a few years ago that I would be living in the country, staring at cows in my back pasture and feeding them on brisk winter mornings, all the while eating fresh eggs and drinking fresh milk right off of my friends ranch, I would have told you you were crazy. Undeniably crazy! You have to be mad, crazy! You know, the kind? You're so crazy you aren't even making any sense kind of crazy!   But, that's exactly what I'm doing.

I didn't have any trouble eating fresh eggs, but I will admit it took me a week to drink the fresh milk.  After the first sip, I stood there waiting with abaited breath for the extreme after-taste I was sure would come.  But no.  Nothing.  Just milk.  It was milk.  ;o)   Tasty and free of processing...Ah, yes, I now LOVE fresh milk!

That is my life today. A rather peaceful existence, if I may say so myself. No street lights or city noise. No bothersome neighbors playing their music too loud. Just the quiet. A pleasantness most days that I'm now grateful and feel very blessed to have.  The morning treks out to feel the cows (we only have two - using the plural "cows" makes it sound like we have a pasture full - LOL), is an interesting one.  C.'s bigger now and likes to help.  Last winter/spring we used the wheel barrow to haul the feed and hay.  Most days it hauled C. too as he liked to ride and not get his feet wet in the dewy grass.  This time around, well, we have an alternative approach.


Here are our "Girls."  I'd like to mention they are not the most friendly of cows. 
They have made it their life goal to be skittish and stay as far away from us as possible.
Unless of course they are hungry, like this morning, and came close
because they wanted to eat.


While C. is an amazing helper, he still has a few things against him. 
It won't be long and he'll be tossing it over the fence on his own. 
But for now, I give him a lift...

Here C. showed me how his Uncle H. likes to chew on hay...

Transitioning to the country life wasn't easy for me...but in hindsidht I would say it was well worth it!  Now? I wouldn't trade my country life for anything. Just driving through a residential area gives me anxiety.  And the Harbor Bridge, crossing from Portland to Corpus - Ay yay ya....Can I find another way around please???   A day in the city leaves me feeling anxious and so ready to get home to the quiet of my street where my biggest worry is staring down the random coyote who finds joy in adding excitement to my day or caring for my neighbors miniature horses who have escaped from their pen.

All this goodness comes from the Lord.  He has blessed us with this homestead.  We should remember Him and that all we have is from Him in each and every thing we do.  Not only should we remember this for ourselves, but we need to raise our children to know this as well.  What better place to do this that in the peaceful existence of our country life.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  talk about themwhen you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.  Deuteronomy 6:5-9

Yes, the country life - that IS THE ONLY life to lead!   

No comments:

Post a Comment