Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mother of the Bride, Me?


When I brought my baby girl home from the hospital, as her mother, one of the last things I thought about was her wedding day.  My first concerns and worries were what to feed her so she wouldn't throw up every bit of her bottle on me and what to wash her clothes in because her sweet peaches and cream skin was broken out in a rash from the Tide I had used.  Our various trips to the ER brought about a different sort of worry - the scarrier sort.  How was the ER doctor really going to remove the tiniest magnet toy she'd shoved up her nose, to another ER doctor chuckling at telling me not to worry about the Easter candy she ate -- foil wrapper and all!!.  Oh, how about that time I had to give her the heimlech manuever to remove the 1/2 of an Easter egg she choked on as I laid on the couch recovering from surgery after my appendix ruptured.  Lastly, we cannot forget the ambulance ride she and I took to Driscoll Children's Hospital.  [head shake]  These were the types of worries that were foremost and present in my life.   

It wasn't all about worries though.  The smiles along the way were worth millions.  The doll house that sat on the front porch with all the windows taped tightly shut and filled to capacity with rollie pollies was undeniably a favorite.  There is no forgetting her wild mass of curls blowing in the wind as she raced by on her bicycle, nor watching her swing as high as her petitle little self could muster on her swingset in the back yard! 



Realistically, her wedding day never crossed my mind until the first time my baby girl came home from school talking about her first crush.  At that point, I found myself secretly praying, "Please Lord, don't let her marry this one!"

Six months later, "Oh, Lord, I know I'm being rather picky here, but, please, not this one either.  Okay?  You agree?  Don't You, Lord?"

Then one day, the ring is on the finger, talk has turned to wedding details and the reality is my daughter is going to be a bride and a wife.  There is this something growing in the pit of my stomach as I begin to realize life is soon to make a major shift.  

Mom's worry.  That's what we do best.  But now the worry takes on a more serious side.  Before I was a Christian I worried a lot.  I was a good worrier.  I have MASTERED the task I tell ya!  But, as a Christian mom I've learned to turn to God, to lean on Him, to lay my worries at His feet. 



I pray for wisdom to say and do the right things.  To be courageous and find joy!

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.   Do everything in love.  1 Corinthians 16:13-14

I love my little girl more than life itself.  Am I ready for her to be married?  I'm not so sure about that, but what I do know is that I have done my best to raise her right, to be the independent christian woman I know she can be.  I pray her life is filled with many blessings and that the trials and tribulations we know she will endure will be few and far between.

Me?  Mother of the bride?  Yes, I am!   I still find it hard to believe that I can give myself this title...But, yes, it is definitely so!


No comments:

Post a Comment