Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, December 11, 2010

How Many Calories Are In That?

What is a calorie anyway?  One definition says it's, "a unit of measurement for energy..."

How is it measured?  "It is the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree celsius. So in food it is a measurement of how much energy that food has."

Blah, blah, blah!   That's what I hear.  What is a calorie to me?  It's the number assigned to food that I must document before I put it in my mouth!  Well, that was the case until a month or so ago.  Now it's carb counting and monitoring. 

Where is all this going?

When does calorie counting, carb watching, reading labels, yap, yap, yapping about what you're eating become too much? 

I think that moment might be now....What do you think?

(Setting - school table a few days ago.   We're working on our lesson while Caleb munches on Cheez-It's and drinks some G2.)

Caleb:  "Mom, how many calories are in my cheez-its?"
Mom:  Glance at the back of the bag, "160."
Caleb:  "How many calories are in my G2?"
Mom:  Doesn't have to glance, knows the answer, "20."
Caleb:  "Well, I wanna be skinnier than you!"
Mom:  "Caleb, you are skinnier than me."
Caleb:  "But, I am gonna be skinnier!"
Mom:  Mind gets foggy, brows wrinkle, thoughts are rolling around in my head.

I might be willing to compete with my husband for the "skinnier than you trophy," but I'm not willing to compete with my 5 yr old son!  This is the moment I realized all my talk of what I'm eating, is it good for me, bad for me, how many calories does it have," is possibly making a negative impression on my son.  

What would God say about this I wonder?  Well, it just so happens He gives us specific instruction on this very matter.

And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.  Luke 12:29-31

If you find honey, eat just enough -- too much of it, and you will vomit.  Proverbs 25:16

Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?  If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.  1 Corinthians 3:16-17.

I read these scriptures last July and they are what gave me the boost I needed to get back on track with my eating.  But, somewhere along the way, I think things went a bit overboard.  So, I am attempting to find my happy place once again.   With fourteen more pounds to my goal, it's necessary for me to get back on track.  So I must strive to find a happy medium.  A way to teach my children that eating healthy is important but the calorie or carb obssession isn't the most productive way to go about it or your life. 

Until next time - watch what you eat, but don't become obssessed....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment