Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thoughts As You Fall

It wasn't much more than a week ago that I found myself on the ground in between my vehicle and the gas pump.  Yes.  Me.  Middle-name-should-have-been-Grace, on the ground, holding back tears and trying to decipher if my injuries were minimal or major.  I looked around quickly wondering who saw me make my not-so-graceful landing.  You know that moment of embarrassment?  You've been there, right?

Then, immediately I felt a bit saddened that not one person ran to my rescue.  My son, Randy, was sitting in the front seat, which was pretty far forward from the gas pump and out of view of what had happened to me.  He didn't know about it until I pulled myself up and into the front seat, whining about how sore I was already in those few minutes immediately after "the event."

I consider myself very lucky.  Other than a sore back for two days and a sore right knee with a raspberry and bruise, I suffered little.  A lot could have happened to me in that moment when I was falling in slow-motion to the ground.  Any number of bones could have broken, abrasion's could have taken place.  But, none of the above happened to me.

I've pondered a lot on the scenario and the fact that I sat there on the ground without a rescuer, or even the hint of one person who cared.  Then it hit me.  God cared.  And I believe with every ounce of my breath that He had wrapped His arms around my body as I fell and set me as gently onto the ground as only He could.  Even my right hand {that had taken nearly all the brunt of my fall} and had scraped against the concrete in the fall, causing it to burn for two hours after, didn't even have a mark on it the next day.  How could this be?

After the fall, I was looking around me for some hero or heroine to come in and at least act like they cared.   In that process I overlooked the very One who WAS there and cared deeply.   It's so easy to overlook our Lord.  To forget His presence. To be searching for something or someone else to fill the needs, desires, voids we have in various moments of our lives.  Some of those moments are when we are falling, either physically or spiritually, but if we are honest, most are pretty random.  They like to sneak up on us, too, attacking when we least expect it.

As I think about my fall, I want it to always be a reminder to remember my Lord and Savior as the One I can always turn to, the One that is always there for me and loves me - - no matter what.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.  2 Corinthians 1:3-5 

And while I go forward with this vow, to remind myself daily that He is there for me in the good and the bad, I also vow to keep my eyes open to those around me and be aware of the moments that others are in  need.  To be the hand that opens the door, carries a bag, or quite possibly the very hand that helps someone after they have fallen...

In His Precious Name,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment