Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

You Need This More Than I Do

How many times have you gone into the grocery store with one item in mind, only to find yourself fifteen minutes later with an armload?  Of which about half the items are trying their best to make their way to the floor because you've convinced yourself you can carry them and you're only going to grab, "one more thing."

This was me the other day as I came around the corner of the bread aisle at our local grocery.  Arms full, trying desperately not to drop anything.  Suddenly, standing before me was an angel.  One of God's angels?  Maybe, maybe not.   I'm choosing to believe that he was since he blessed me in a generous way.

This angel, who looked like he'd just gotten off work, wore a bit of grey in the hair that peeked out from around the edges of his cap.  I've no doubt he was tired from a long day at work, but he took one look at me and the load in my arms and said, "here, you need this more than I do."  He then picked up two or three items out of the grocery cart and passed the empty cart to me.

I know I looked surprised.  Big eyes, mouth gaping open.  How appealing I must have looked to this kind-hearted gentleman!  Ha!!  Honestly though, how often does a stranger go out of their way for you on any given day?  It doesn't happen real often to me and I wasn't expecting it on this day either.

I did try to tell him that it was okay, I really was okay, but he insisted.  Honestly, he was probably right.  Anyone with eyes could see my groceries were destined to become floor tile decoration if I didn't accept his act of good will.  So I did.  And I have to admit, his simple act of generosity hasn't left my thoughts since.

Let me challenge you to be on the look out for someone who isn't expecting a random act of kindness.  I know that I am challenging myself to get out of my daily fog, and be on the look out.  Just do something to bring a smile to someone else's face.  I can speak from experience that the unexpected is often the thing that gives the biggest blessing.

So, what can you do to make a difference?

Walking with the King,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment