Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Nursing Home Blessings....

It's an annual event for our home school group, singing at the nursing home and making stops at the homes of local shut-ins.  It was started by a dear friend of mine 5-6 years ago and Caleb, Randy, and I joined in making this year our third year to participate.


It is truly a blessing to spend a few hours visiting people who don't get a lot of visitors on a daily basis.  Very touching and heart-warming and I suppose a bit bitter sweet as well.

Every year I tell myself I will not wait another entire year to come back and visit, but time gets away and 1 year later I find us back there, singing and hoping to bring a few minutes of joy to someone who needs it.  All of them touch my heart, but this year 3 nursing home patrons have stayed steadfast in my mind.  After we sang to them, we went around the room, greeting each one individually with a "Merry Christmas" and a hug.  Some of us handed out gifts.  My family gave some home made Christmas ornaments.


It was as we made the rounds that I pondered on these three individuals.

The first was a wheelchair bound lady I think of as the "Bobber."  While we sang, she sat in her chair near the middle of the room.  Her head bobbed up and down, up and down.  At first glance, I thought that wobble action was a part of her.  But, then I noticed after we were done singing, she was done wobbling.  She may have been in a wheel chair, but that didn't keep the only part of her that could move - - from moving.

The second I have nicknamed, the "Singer."  Gotta LOVE this man.  He didn't speak English, and honestly it was apparent he couldn't speak much at all.  But all the while we sang, we could hear a loud moaning sound.  "Aaaaaaaa!"  It was borderline a yell really and it wasn't until afterwards that I realized it was him - "singing."  The joy we brought him came out in the only way he could deliver it, via a joyful noise.  A loud, incoherent noise if you were an uninvolved by-stander.  But, WE knew he was excited and happy and wanted desperately to sing along with us.  I watched our pastor try to converse with him.  The best we could decipher, he wanted us to sing Feliz Navidad.  Maybe that should be our goal for next year.

And lastly, I remember the "Princess."  A sweet lady sitting in the back of the room with a black, lacy blouse and a bright, blue bow in her hair.  I saw her, all prettied up and couldn't help but tell her how beautiful she looked.  I sincerely think she blushed.  I wondered then, when was the last time someone told her how beautiful she was?  Could have been the day before, the month before, or maybe it's been years.  I have no idea, but I do know that my compliment to her that day was what she needed.  It made her feel important, special.  And I'm sure the fact that someone noticed she'd paid extra attention to her appearance that day meant a lot to her.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to bless others.  That's what our trip is meant to do, bless others.  But, I think I am equally, or quite possibly more blessed by them and the impact they make on my life.  

Until next year, "We Wish You A Merry Christmas, We Wish You  A Merry Christmas....."


Walking with the King,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment