Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Why Are We Here?


Why are we really here?  Because God created us, that's why!  He wants us to love Him and one another.  He wants all that we do to bring Him glory, honor, and power.  We are here for His pleasure and Revelation 4:11 reminds us of all these things - "You are worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power.  For You created all things, and they exist because You created what You pleased." 

We are here to serve Him.  We are to use the talents He has given to each one of us to serve Him and bring Glory to His name.  It sounds simple right?

I love Steven Curtis Chapman's new song, "Do Everything."  My friend T. shared it with me before I recognized it on the radio and I honestly can't stop thinking about the message it gives to us.  It's what we were all meant to do!



Here is a clip of the lyrics:   "Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you, 'Cause He made you to do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face, and tell the story of grace,  with every move that you make and every little thing you do...."  

Not all of us are called to be a missionary in some far away land.  Most of us have a more "practical" calling, which is to serve Him right at home.  Yes. I mean right here.  Under our own roofs.  And when I say this is a more practical calling, I don't mean to imply this calling is any less important than the work of those called as missionaries in far away lands.

Sometimes we allow ourselves to think that what we do isn't important.  In the midst of dirty laundry, mopping floors, trying to love our husbands and rear up our children, it isn't always easy to keep the right attitude.  I don't know about you, but I'm still trying to figure out how clean underwear in every one's drawer brings Glory to God.

But it does.  It's when we allow ourselves to forget the importance of the little things that dissatisfaction creeps in and God's purpose for our work begins to fade away.   It is in these times that we need to pull out our bibles and read faithfully to be reminded of God's love for us.   He tells us to bloom where we are planted.  And while you are reading, play Mr. Chapman's song, listen to the words and plant them deep in our hearts.  We are to do all things as though we are doing them for our God.  Even washing dirty clothes!

Something else to hold close to your heart is a special gift given to us when we choose to follow God.  He plants in us, in our hearts, eternity.

Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time.  He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.  Ecclesiastes 3:11 

While we may be blessed with the promise of eternity, we are still not able to see the big picture.  I don't know about you, but I would LOVE to see how washing clothes fits into the Big Picture, or God's plan for my life, and how it manages to bring Him Glory.  But God is the only one that can see the big picture.

He does give us a glimpse of that beauty "in its own time."  For God is the only one who can send a minimal seven tenths of an inch of rain that will then sprout these sweet rain lilies all over my yard.



From DIRT!  Where do these come from?  I mean really?  Nearly every blade of grass is crispy and brown, or non-existent even.  Yet, from the dirt pops up color.  A glimpse of beauty and perfection.  Who, but God, can design a flower that only appears after a bit of rain, in a yard that has been overtaken by drought and holds the appearance of a desert?  I know that I will never look at a rain lily the same way again.  It will be a reminder to me of the beauty that exists even when the outward appearance is quite dismal.

Remember, God is the One that truly satisfies us.  So, in everything you do, do it for the GLORY of the ONE that made YOU!

Oh - off to check my dryer.  I think I heard my end of cycle buzzer.

Walking with the King,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment