Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, August 22, 2011

Welcomed Affirmation

Writing this blog has brought me great joy.  I have always aspired to be a writer and I must admit that in my younger years those efforts were wasted on the belief that I could be the one to write the next best romantic fiction novel.  I have several boxes of drafts stored in my garage to prove it, too.  Actually, amongst all the paper is one finished historical romance called, "Emma's Lone Star Heart."  I've since learned of myself, that this is one dream that will not find it's way to fruition and someday I will find the strength from within to destroy all those silly efforts at "writing."




Along came 2002 and some significant changes in my life that I will spare you from reading about and suffering your way through.  Those changes pulled me away from writing and from romantic fiction.  For it was a change in my marital status that only revealed to me that happy-ever-after's are honestly and truly something you will only find between the pages of a book.

What did I find as a replacement?

Jesus, of course.  

It wasn't long into 2003 when I literally felt something missing from my life.  Having gone to the catholic church for years, it was such an odd feeling for me when these life changes were happening and I no longer felt comfortable amongst my catholic sisters and brothers.  Acceptance was a thing of the past.  

Fast forward to finding the nearest Baptist church, followed by baptism for myself and two of my kiddo's.  Life was changing and it was changing fast.  

Fast forward once again to the present time.  Almost a year has gone by since I've become a faithful blogger and I must admit that my love for writing has resurfaced in this process.  I still don't believe myself worthy of publication of any sort, but it's fun to be able to massage my dream a little and write this blog.

At least it was until I bumped into an article the other day that made me stop and think.  It was about a blogger - a wife, mother, etc, who had decided to quit blogging.  Even going as far as deleting her entire blog.   She felt she was blogging for all the wrong reasons.  It made me pause and think about myself and my own reasons for blogging.  Why do I blog?  As a Christian, is this okay?

I have received many compliments on this and my homeschool blogs.  Honestly, it does make me feel good to know that I'm not just writing for me and someone is actually enjoying it.  I'm grateful, too, to those that have shared with me how much they enjoy it and look forward to a new entry.  Another of my realizations was that while the compliments are good for my heart and confidence, I have to be careful not to let pride take control.  

So.  Why do I write this blog?  Being the aspiring writer than I am, I long to touch people's lives. I want to produce something with the written word that will make a difference in someone's day.  I want to share our life with family members that don't get to see us all the time and hopefully this blog allows them the opportunity to feel a part of our day....even if only a little bit.

Let me answer the next question I had for myself.  As a Christian, is this okay?  Well.  Today our pastor preached from Isaiah 43:16-19 - I am the Lord, who opened a way through the waters, making a dry path through the sea.  I called forth the mighty army of Egypt with all its chariots and horses.  I drew them beneath the waves, and they drowned, their lives snuffed out like a smoldering candlewick.   

His point today was that there are many natural changes that occur throughout time and history.  One of the changes he focused on was technology.  And while many bad things can come from advancing technology, many good things can come from it as well.  

In all these advancements, let's keep our mind on the goal at hand.  Let's remember to share the gospel.  And if what we are presently doing is not working, then we need to make a change.  He said we needed to use the technology available to us to share the gospel in new ways.  He said we needed to advertise across the world via all the social networking options, we needed to use our websites, blogs and other sources to share the Good News.  We needed to think outside the box.  

Did you see that?  Yes?  I heard it with my own ears.  We need to use our blogs to share the Good News.  We need to show the world that the church can provide a loving family and a togetherness that won't be found anywhere else.

To receive that affirmation today was wonderful news.  I CAN write my blog!  And not feel guilty for it.  

BUT....

Yeah, yeah...there's always a catch.  My pastor didn't talk about this part...I came upon it myself in my research through scripture on another project I'm working on.

I must remember to stay humble.  To shuck off the pride at the door.  I must remember to use this blog to further the Kingdom of my God.  

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."  Luke 14:11

My life application study bible explains it this way - - "Truly humble people compare themselves only with Christ, realize their sinfulness, and understand their limitations.  On the other hand, they also recognize their gifts and strengths and are willing to use them as Christ directs.  Humility is not self-degradation; it is realistic self-assessment and commitment to serve."

So, may I always remain humble as I blog.  May I consider this a gift, an opportunity that God has given me to do good, to do His work.  May I strive to only compare myself to Christ and to no one else and only use this platform to serve Him for as long as He directs.

I humbly ask you to pray for me in this goal and to pray that God will continue to direct me in all that He would have me share with you.  I would also pray that God allow me the opportunity to brag just a little when I am proud of various accomplishments of my children.  ;o)

Walking with the King,  
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment