Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, August 8, 2011

It's a Matter of Balance


This post has been sitting in my box of posts, in draft mode, for about a month now.  Why?  Well, I felt this tug to write it, but honestly I wasn't sure exactly what direction I was supposed to go in.  Then suddenly it became clear and now I feel able to just share my heart.  

So.

Planking. Wikipedia says, "The lying down game or planking is an activity consisting of lying face down in an unusual or incongruous location. The hands must touch the sides of the body and having a photograph of the participant taken and posted on the Internet is an integral part of the game."  


I discovered planking about a month ago. I honestly had never heard of it until I saw a picture Dusty (my oldest son) posted on Facebook.   I was very impressed by the photo.  He took a picture of his co-worker planking on pipe.  An oilfield pipe at that.  Crazy.  And like I said, very impressive....don't you think so?  To hold himself in that position long enough for Dusty to snap a picture is something else.  I wish I had ab's like that!  

Then I saw more planking photos on Scott & Kelli's Facebook page (they are from the K-Love radio station in case you don't know who they are.)   And when I heard the word on the ten o'clock news I realized planking was more than a creative photo my son posted. It was a fad going around this crazy world.

At first glance, some of the more creative plankers appear to be poised in mid-air.  If you're curious, check out Geeko System for the top 65 planking photos.  After a closer look, you can see it's mainly a balancing act.  

That is what intrigued me when I saw this gimmick for the first time.  Balance.  Hmmmm.....so much of life requires balance and here people are finding ways to balance just for fun.

Caleb and I sorta fell into this planking business by accident while we were out shopping.  We were on a mission for a specific cake topper.  We found ourselves at Target, desperate for a gold power ranger.  LOL   

In front of Target are these large cement balls - part of their remodeling I believe.  Caleb insisted on climbing on one and wanted me to "picture him."  In the process of climbing up, he was planking.  I laughed and said, "Caleb, you're planking!"  So, he straightened out his legs some more and I took a picture.  Here he is....planking.  
Here is a photo of him posing in the way he'd originally asked for.  He's sporting his brand new Spiderman cap.  Backwards no less....

And then, two of my other kid's put a twist on the planking fad and took up "owling."  No they didn't create it.  There are owling pictures out on the internet as well. 

And we can't forget Dusty's second photo on planking...the planking chicken tender.  LOL
No matter which one you are trying to do, planking or owling, the ultimate goal consists of balancing.  Showing actual strength in your balancing act, or even just the illusion of having that phenomenal strength is a plus.  

Finding that comfortable sense of balance in our day-to-day life can sometimes be complicated.  Most of us wear a couple of "hats" that we switch out of off and on throughout our day.   Ultimately, it leaves us with more than our share of "things" to balance.  

Home/household.  A job where you work at home.   A job where you work out of the home.  You own your own business.  Our church.  Kids in public school.  Homeschooling.  And what about all those relationships we have?  We can't forget them.   Parents.  Children.  Siblings.  In-laws.  Employees.   Employers.  And coworkers.  Just try to add into those scenarios some hobbies or extra-curricular activities and whoa....

With this complicated balancing act going on within us it's not surprising that we may find ourselves living a comfortable, peaceful life one day; and participating in a juggling act of emotions the next.  

While we may not always succeed at balancing all aspects of our lives.  What we can do is try to maintain perspective.  Because the truth of the matter is, God never promised us a life of smooth waters and perfect sailing.  What He does promise is this:

"When times are good, be happy; but when time are bad, consider:  God has made the one as well as the other...."  Ecclesiastes 7:4

And like Paul we should learn to be content wherever we are, whatever our circumstances. (Philippians 4:11)

Is this easy?  Ummmm, no.   But grabbing tight to scripture and holding it firmly in our grasp can make a difference.  And in the same way planking and owling offer a visual perception of strength, we need to remember our Lord God gives us the real deal.  "...Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

So in all things keep your perspective and hold tight to the strength of the Lord! 

In Christ's Name,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment