Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways
acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Yum Factor and Focusing on Health

2013 is bringing in a change in the Parker household.  A lifestyle change involving healthier eating and more exercise.  Okay, so this time of year many people are proclaiming their new years resolutions.  How many people actually stick to them?  I sure don't know the statistics, but it's probably very few.  I was most definitely one of those folks.  I'm not exactly sure what is making a difference this time....but I  know my health is playing a huge role.

For example, I know the history of my family's health is against me.  Parents and grandparents with heart troubles, high blood pressure, and diabetes to name a few.  I knew without a doubt I was headed down the same path.  Last November I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on medication.  That moment was like a turning point for me.  Uh-oh.  The very thing I've been saying I didn't want to happen to me, is happening.

A major turning point.

The switch flipped.

I had to make changes.......but how?

It started with a change in our family doctor to one who follows a real food eating plan.  He wrote a small book.  I read it cover to cover.  Basically, if my grandparents grandparents didn't eat it, neither should I.  Did it look easy?  Not really.  Did it make sense? Totally.

So, one day at a time, one bite at a time.....we are making progress.

Here are a few new things I've tried and enjoyed very much!

Zucchini BLT's without the L.....


Brussel sprouts with bacon.....

Zucchini chips.....I forgot to take the after picture, but here they are before they went into the oven.  Parmesan cheese and your favorite seasoning....bake til just turning brown.  A tasty treat and you can eat a bunch for almost no calories. - like 20 for 60 calories or something like that.

Yogurt with berries and a sprinkling of Stevia on top...

Like I said, one day at a time.  Can I see a difference yet?  Not greatly, but I know I feel better.  I'm less bloated after meals....my sweet craving is virtually gone....and I sorta just want the good foods.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I want to sink my teeth into the not-so-good stuff, but when I do, I notice how bad it makes me feel.  So, it's happening less and less.  

Exercise is my next hurdle.  I've been working hard on understanding the food and trying to get it down.  I knew exercise was next as it's a necessary part of healthy living.  I began my exercise routine last Monday.  It was written by my doctor and is for beginners.  Whoa!  It's only like, three or four exercises every day or every other day, yet I'm SO feeling the muscle aches.  I know it's working.  Yes, I could probably make faster progress if I did more or spent more time at it.  But, my doctor says baby steps are better.  Concentrate on developing the habit.  Then build on intensity.  So, right now Caleb and I are doing this together.  He's a great motivator and reminds me every day, "mom, we need to do our exercises.....we need to go for our walk...."  It's awesome!  Johnny has gone to work early a few times to get his exercise in, but his schedule is a little crazy so it doesn't always work.  Again, baby steps....

So, here's to our fresh start.  I'll keep you posted on our progress.  I'm in no hurry.  It took me years to gain all this weight.....I expect it to take a while to get it off.  I at least look forward to a post a year from now that pictures a very different me!

In Christ,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment