I went straight to Lucy, my daughter's best friend and a member of our church. This young lady's heart is on fire for the Lord and recently became a stay-at-home-mom like myself. I knew she would be willing to co-lead this ministry with me. She said yes and off we went.
What's involved in this ministry?
1) Displaying flyers all over the community announcing the ministry and it's intent.
2) Taking calls for several hours a day over the course of three or four days in order to schedule a time for registrants to come by and fill out a registration form.
3) Being available over a scheduled period of time for families to stop by the church and register their children.
4) Logging all registrants onto the Google Docs program so that Second Baptist Church in Corpus Christi, the main church coordinating this ministry, could keep track of all registrants from all the participating churches.
5) Going to Second Baptist Church in Corpus Christi to stuff backpacks.
The entire procedure has definitely been well thought out. When our church members arrived to stuff backpacks last night, the 50+ backpacks we were to take back with us were already done and ready for us to load. The pay-it-forward method was firmly in place for we then filled 150 5th grade backpacks. So cool. We stayed in one room. Didn't have to think about different materials for different age groups. We just sorted and filled 150 of the same backpacks. The only difference was color - dark colors for boys and bright colors for girls!!
Here are two of my biggest helpers. Caleb and Meghan. It was a little hard for Caleb to sort and stuff the backpacks but he discovered he WAS able to carry them to this room after the rest of us stuffed them. He hauled and stacked over 100 backpacks by himself. Somewhere over the 100 backpack mark, Meghan switched tasks and helped Caleb carry backpacks. She also helped count them out and keep track of our finish line. Who knows how many she stuffed on her own but I'm sure it was a huge number.
These two also sorted and stacked the empty boxes as we depleted the school supplies out of them. Never a lazy moment. We were there for over 3 hours and busy the entire time.
A special thank you to Lucy Blasingame for all the time she spent helping me pass out flyers, answering calls, and helping registrants with their forms. Additionally, Lucy entered all the registrants on the Google Docs program on-line. She was sad to miss the filling of backpacks, but her little man had surgery and her priority was taking care of him. Next year Lucy! Next year!
More thank you's to my sweet husband who after working a full day at work came and filled backpacks until every last one was done. Thank you to Bro. Rick and Sheila Vire as we would not have been able to complete 150 backpacks in 3 hours without their help!
This whole ministry has been such a blessing to my soul. Meeting new people, reaching out into the community and filling a need, and as a result being a servant to my Lord. We're giving out a total of 53 backpacks this year and I'm convinced that next year we will totally TOP that number.
Walking with the King,